One of my very favorite things about the blogging community is the friendship and support I’ve come to find from so many wonderful bloggers. I was nominated for the Liebster Award by Smiling Notes and mypinchofyum.
Smiling Notes blog is a delightful ray of sunshine, full of fun adventures and delicious recipes. And Priti at mypinchofyum definitely opens up my world to new foods I wouldn’t normally be exposed to. Thanks to both of you for thinking of me.
I really enjoy writing these kinds of posts because they’re like a little glimpse into who I am.
Here are the rules for the Liebster Award:
1. Thank the person who nominated you and provide a link to their site.
2. Include the Liebster award sticker in your post.
3. Nominate ten other bloggers who you think are worthy of this award.
4. Answer the ten questions asked to you by the person who nominated you and make ten questions of your own for your nominees.
Questions from Smiling Notes
1. What inspired you to start your own blog?
This was something I’d been contemplating for a long time. I studied creative writing in college, so having a blog always seemed like a natural thing I should just do. But every time I tried it felt forced, and when creativity isn’t organic, it doesn’t come out right. Honestly, the spark that finally made it happen came about one day when a coworker of mine said something about following your true passions. While I knew turning around and simply opening up a bakery wasn’t exactly going to happen, I knew I could immediately do this (a virtual café) and start putting myself and the things I love out there. I don’t even remember exactly what she’d said, but it struck me hard, and as soon as I got home I created the site. It felt organic. It felt natural.
2. Who is your No.1 Support system in your life?
Different people support me in different ways. My parents have provided unrelenting support for me throughout my entire life. Their love has never once wavered. They are incredible and I love them dearly.
I have to say that the one person in my life who I can open up every single part of myself to–every thought big or small, every quirk, every delight and every mistake is my boyfriend, Brayden. He supports me no matter what. I’m lucky. I found my soul mate.
3. Do you speak any other languages apart from English?
Brayden and I are planning to start taking German classes soon. And I think Japanese is the most beautiful language.
4. One thing you cannot live without?
Right now, boba tea. Obsessed.
5. What is your favorite place/ destination that you have visited?
This one is tough. I’m torn between Ireland and Seattle, WA. Visiting Ireland was like a fairy tale; sometimes I can’t believe it even happened. Seattle is where I want to live my life every day.
6. Do you have any pets?
We’ve got plans for some fur babies!
7. Which is the best post that you have written so far? (please link it)
Rather than best post, I’d say the one I’m most proud of is my Homemade Brioche French Toast. It has certainly been the most fun to make and it really pushed me with my baking.
8. Which quality in people do you appreciate the most?
The first thing that comes to mind is “empathy.” I truly enjoy being around people who have the wherewithal to think outside of their own boxes, and in turn make the people around them feel at ease. It’s honestly more of an aura about a person. Almost as soon as I’ve met you, I know if we’ve made a connection or we haven’t.
9. What is your comfort meal on a lazy/ sick day?
Whatever’s currently baking in the kitchen!
10. What is your motto in life?
There is something good in every day. Enjoy the present moment.
Questions from mypinchofyum
1. What do you value most in your life?
My family of course, but also my freedom. I couldn’t imagine having that taken away. I also value food. A lot. Meal times are, like, the highlights of my day.
2. What inspired you to start your blog?
See question #1 from the previous set 😉
3. Do you speak any other language apart from English?
This feels like deja vu. See #3 from the previous set.
4. What do you like the most – vegetables, chicken, pork, beef, lamb or seafood?
Vegetables for sure. There are so many to choose from and they are sooo good!
5. Which is your favorite spice?
6. Best moment in your life?
Summer of 2012. Brayden and I were still in college and not yet living together, but I stayed at his apartment with him while I worked a summer job on our university campus. It would take a long time to explain why, but it was simply the best time of my life. We hiked mountains, played in the pouring rain and baked all the time. Now I get to live with him every day, and that’s pretty much the best time of my life, too.
7. Is there any food ingredient or dish that you will never eat?
Sorry to all you sushi fans out there (I know your love for it is fierce!), but I just can’t do it. I have tried it before, but the mere smell of sushi and rice wine makes me queasy 😦
8. Which is your favorite cuisine in the world and why?
Am I allowed to say pastries, breads and cheeses? I love all kinds of foods, but baked goods, particularly on the slightly sweeter side, make my heart sing.
9. What is your signature dish?
I feel so serious answering this question for some reason. I don’t know that I have a “signature dish”, but I think my muffin game is pretty spot on.
10. Where would you live if you could live anywhere you wanted on the Earth?
This is another really difficult one because there are so many amazing places. I feel this deep-seeded connection with docks, harbors, boats and large bodies of water, so I know I would want to live in a port city. As I mentioned above, Seattle is one of my favorite places in the world.
And now my questions:
1. What is your favorite taste: sour, sweet, salty, bitter or umami?
2. Describe a weird quirk of yours.
3. If you could be a part of the first society to colonize on Mars, would you do it?
4. Who is your favorite author?
5. What is your favorite season (time of year)?
6. Who would you rather be, Gandalf or Dumbledore?
7. What is your favorite meal of the day? (c’mon, you know it’s breakfast)
8. If you could live either in the mountains, near the ocean, in the countryside or in the city, which would you choose?
9. How do you get your emotions out?
10. What is your favorite smell?
My super awesome nominees:
love the little bakery
Crumbs and Tea
The Sugar Tin
Milk, Chai & Honey
The Cinnamon Scrolls